Saskatchewan is known for its wide open prairie landscape, so it’s no surprise it’s home to more than 40% of Canada’s cultivated farmland. Saskatchewan supplies more than one-third of the world’s exports of durum wheat, we’re the top export of lentils and dried peas and more than half of Canada’s canola is produced here. Being located so close to these raw goods presents many opportunities for processing food, crop and beverages.
The Saskatchewan Food Industry Development Centre is located in Saskatoon and offers significant expertise in snack extrusion and meat analog development. The centre provides a range of services and works closely with the local and global companies to develop and process products from concept to commercialization.
Saskatchewan is also home to the headquarters of Protein Industries Canada, a new pan-prairie supercluster designed to bring together R&D resources and industry to help develop new products that add value to crops, such as wheat, canola, and lentils, and other pulses
- GDP: Agriculture in Saskatchewan contributed $7.05 billion in GDP in 2020
- Exports: In 2021, Saskatchewan exported $17.5 billion in agri-food exports, a 35.3% increase from 2019
- Employment: Saskatchewan’s agriculture industry employs approximately 28,800 people
- Trade: Saskatchewan continues to be the world’s largest exporter in agri-food products, accounting for 68% of total lentils exported globally, 42% of peas, 56% of durum wheat, 29% of mustard seed, 26% of canola meal, 26% of flaxseed, 36% of canola seed, 42% of oats and 87% of canary seeds
- Future investments: Over $1.5 billion in major agriculture investment has been announced in 2021, propelling the future of urban agriculture and agri-food in the province
Saskatchewan offers competitive operating costs, world-class R&D and a suite of incentives to help agri-value businesses grow in Saskatchewan:
- Saskatchewan Value-Added Agriculture Incentive, a 15% tax credit on capital investments
- Product2Market: Value Added, which promotes the development and expansion of small to medium sized enterprises by supporting agri-business product development and the marketing of value-added products
- Saskatchewan Lean Improvements in Manufacturing, provides funding assistance to agribusinesses for adoption of best practices, new technologies and state-of-the-art processes that stimulate improvements in productivity and efficiency
- Agriculture Development Fund, supports development solutions to emerging problems that constrain production and value-added processing
AGRICULTURE TECHNOLOGY HARVEST PROGRAM
SREDA is pleased to offer the Agriculture Technology HARVEST Program. Through this program SREDA provides financial support to international companies with technologies that are applicable to the agriculture industry.
AG IN MOTION INNOVATIONS PROGRAM
Ag in Motion, in partnership with SREDA, is pleased to offer the Ag in Motion Innovations Program. This program celebrates the latest innovations in the Saskatchewan agriculture industry by presenting awards to industry leaders.
Saskatoon is home to the natural resources that feed, fuel and fertilize the world, as well as the innovations that surround these industries.
Business in Saskatoon
Saskatoon’s mix of economic diversity, low business costs and high quality of life make it the perfect place for businesses and people to thrive.